12.6.09

Cover letter #4 LA Confidential

Lately, I've been writing cover letters. A lot of cover letters. I decided that I should start posting them. Maybe you'll give me some feedback and we can figure out why I don't have a job. Maybe you won't. Either way, here is the one I wrote to LA Confidential. It is a high-society, lifestyle magazine. It is the sister publication to the likes of Gotham and Ocean Drive. This one, I realize now, is too long... but I can't help it if I always have a bit too much to say:

Hello,

My name is Atiya Jones, and I am writing in regards to the available sales assistant position with LA Confidential. I have spent the majority of my life making sales- from clothing to creative services- I’ve probably pitched it. As I tend to see the positive side of everything, I would like to think that I am perfect for this opportunity. My passion for the perseverance of the magazine industry has been ignited since the promises that the advent of the web would bring print to an end, were first uttered. I am extremely detail oriented, vivacious, sociable and professional. Making and maintaining contacts is an art form, an extremely necessary one, in this city, and I am confident in my ability to do so. Though my work history has varied over the years (retail sales & management, waiting tables, hosting, etc.) all of my positions have always relied heavily on customer service and that is above all, the key to success. I am proficient in Power Point, Excel, Outlook, as well as basic HTML, Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator skills.

Niche Media Publications lend themselves to a wide variety of audiences: Those who live in the luxury, those who aspire to and the voyeurs who simply want to observe it all. I find LA Confidential to be particularly striking because it is able to update readers about socialites and celebrities, without being overtly gossip-based and intrusive upon their lives, like so many other glossies. It is classy, informative and luxurious, while maintaining an entertaining demeanor- comparable to the perfect summer soiree.

Life is indeed an unstoppable party and one must keep their guests satisfied, entertained and intrigued, to ensure their return for more, no matter what the situation may be. I am hoping that you decide to contact me about joining your guest list. For salary requirements, I would expect to start at $32,000+ roughly equating to $16 an hour.

I thank you in advance for your response.

All the best,

Atiya Jones
It was the first time I've ever had to make some sort of salary request. It felt awkward to write. I'm sure it was awkward to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment